Port is in dock 3 East Log peatonal bridge is the first work of the architect and Valencian engineer Santiago Calatrava that is constructed in Latin America. It has 160 meters in length and six of wide. Its metallic mast rises 39 meters. The bridge (of an approximated weight of 800 tons) is prepared to move whenever a boat needs to happen. Its traversing gear is one of greatest of the world, with 20 electrical motors in the main axis, that are commanded by computer. The work (donated to the city by an industralist) was made in Spain and it was transferred by parts to Buenos Aires in several boardings. The plastic profile of the work is interpreted by the author like the figure of a pair that dances tango, where the white mast represents the man and the curved silhouette of the bridge to the woman.
Location: next to the Ecological Reserve from South Dock to North Dock
District: Port Log Inauguration: 1918 (like bath)
Collective: 4, 29, 33, 53, 54, 64, 86, 129, 130, 152, 154, 159, 168, 186.
He has been one of the most popular strolls of Buenos Aires for almost a century. People are going to the costanera to walk in bicycle, to trotar, or spending the day in family. In 1918 the municipal bath was inaugurated in the costanera and their beaches became the most concurred of the River of the Silver. In the decades of 1940 and 1950, in the zone they opened to restaurants and theaters where to the night the humorous tangueros and actors acted fashionable, like Aníbal Troilo or Jose “Pepitito” Marrone.
As of 1960 the stroll lost importance, mainly by the contamination of the river, that took to the prohibition to bathe in its waters. In the decades of 1990 and 2000, the costanera and the parks of the boulevards were recovered. The costanera very is visited by day and at night, specially the week ends. In their wide paths numerous “carts” work: food positions at the rate that they specialize in bondiola sandwiches (pig meat).